• 1901 Pierce Dual-Cushion Shaft Drive Bicycle

  • $9,999.00

  • ← Previous Product Next Product →
  • Share this product

Description

In the first decades of the twentieth century Pierce Aeor made advance technology motorcycle and luxury automobiles. Pierce bicycle company was affiliated with the motorwerks as demonstrated by the head badge which besides displaying the word Pierce also shows an arrow in visual form. This bikes front fork legs are leaf springs, the rear wheel is cushioned by mono-shock suspension and the hinge point for the rear swing arm is concentric around the crank spindle. The bike does not use a chain but an enclosed drive shaft. This was not the first full suspension bike but is perhaps the earliest dual suspension bike exhibiting sound engineering. The bike has wood rims and 28" single tube pneumatic tires typical of that time, kerosene powered headlamp, and a saddle design similar to today's anatomic saddles but at that time was marketed as a hygenic saddle. The bike has been restored.